Learning & Development Business Partner - Academy
Salary £60,000 - 70,000
Location/flexibility UK. Must be able to travel to one of offices at least once a month
Are you an Academy L&D BP that wants to actually see the real-world impact from what you help to create? Our mission is simple! We want to positively impact the future of the country by using technology to improve society. As a purpose-driven organisation, we believe the outcomes we create are more important than the technology we deliver.
We also believe this can happen best when our own team represents the society that actually uses the services we work on. At Made Tech, we’re collectively continuing to grow a culture that is happy, healthy, safe and inspiring for people of all backgrounds and experiences, so we encourage all people from underrepresented groups to apply for roles with us.
This role sits within the L&D team and will primarily focus on our Academy and will allow you to help people from all backgrounds to build fantastic careers as software engineers, as well as allowing you to develop your career within a fast growing business that puts its people, its clients and their end users at the heart of everything it does. Our Academy attracts a diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds, at different stages of their careers and a real mix of education levels. Together, we celebrate our differences.
We provide inspiring, realistic, practical content that gives our students the tools they need to be successful software developers. We go beyond pure coding skills to include agile software development methodologies and XP ("extreme programming") practices such as pair programming, continuous integration and test driven development. At Made Tech, how we do things is as important, if not more so, than what we do, so we also explore the people skills that underpin success such as facilitation, teamwork and consulting skills.
Our Academy Engineers are given opportunities to work on real projects with real clients and once they have successfully completed the programme are given a permanent contract with Made Tech.
As our academy-focused L&D BP, your role here will include:
- Train, coach & mentor our students, both individually and in groups on all aspects of their journey to learn code
- Guide them to practice what they have learnt
- Encourage them to come up with solutions to solve problems they are experiencing in a safe environment. We pride ourselves on creating a nurturing environment of psychological safety for all delegates and the wider Made Tech team
- Encourage strong connections between the students and everyone else at Made Tech to aid their learning, seek advice and help embed into the wider business
- Use your technical knowledge to give expert feedback
- Participate in code reviews and facilitate live coding demonstrations
- Provide subject matter expert (SME) advice and to answer technical questions
- Ensure the content reflects the role of a software engineer
- Review all aspects of the academy programme
- Continuously seek to improve and extend the academy
- Engage, network and utilise SMEs within Made Tech to improve the academy
- Demonstrate the academy’s return on investment
In the application process the following skills will be assessed:
- Extensive experience as a professional software engineer
- Strong L&D related experience - sole responsibility for facilitating sessions, coaching and mentoring software engineer students, designing training materials / programmes
- L&D project management experience. Have owned and delivered at least 1 full multifaceted programme lasting a minimum of 3 months plus
- Self-led learner. Our culture will need you to proactively look for data and feedback
- Good communication skills and confidence when presenting virtually and face to face
- Be patient, empathetic & have a curious attitude
Nice to have:
- Software delivery and User Centred Design expertise
- Experience running academy programmes
- Working with remote stakeholders
- Working in a scale up / start up
- Working across multiple remote locations
- Experience of the public sector
More information about our academy
We are always listening to our growing teams and evolving the benefits available to our people. As we scale, as do our benefits and we are scaling quickly. We've recently introduced a flexible benefit platform which includes a Smart Tech scheme, Cycle to work scheme, and an individual benefits allowance which you can invest in a Health care cash plan or Pension plan. We’re also big on connection and have an optional social and wellbeing calendar of events for all employees to join should they choose to.
Here are some of our most popular benefits listed below:
✈️ Flexible Holiday
🕰️ Flexible Working Hours
👶 Flexible Parental Leave
👩💻 Remote Working
🤗 Paid counselling
🏖️ Paid anniversary break
More information can be found here