Lead Software Engineer
Our Lead Engineers turn our customer’s needs into roadmaps, coach teams to deliver, are cutting the best code of their career, still learn everyday, and constantly strive to be nice humans.
We primarily write and deliver custom software to our customers. Before a project kicks off we will have a number of sessions where we begin to understand the customer’s business and what they are looking to achieve. We then formulate a roadmap for them, potentially a business case too, before starting delivery.
The software we build solves business problems. We’ve built software for karaoke, e-commerce, retail buying departments, accountants, photography studios, warehouses, supply chain companies, and ourselves. Typical projects will last 3-6 months, some customers work with us over longer periods but we like to mix up teams at around 6 months to keep things fresh.
We’ll expect you to be a polyglot programmer versed in a mix of object and functional programming languages. We’d expect you to have some blog posts about your discipline, perhaps even a talk or two. Not only this but the right person would be adept in sharing their knowledge with others – we’d love to hear some examples of coaching and growing team members.
Every engineer at Made Tech is taught commercial responsibility and ownership over their software but it is expected to be second nature for this role.
Further required experience:
- Working directly with customers
- Writing code with Test Driven Development
- Pair programming as we pair around 50% of the time
- Agile practices such as Scrum, XP, and/or Kanban
- Working with a range of SQL and NoSQL databases
- Infrastructure as code tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, and/or Saltstack
- Debugging a range of applications
- Experience debugging infrastructure (AWS/Heroku/Linux/HTTP)
Everything else is optional but highly sought after. We would love you to have experience in:
- Writing code with Acceptance Test Driven Development
- Component based design techniques such as using pattern libraries, styled components, CSS-in-JS, BEM, and/or SUIT CSS
- The React ecosystem including a TDD approach
We are a sanctuary for those wanting to hone their skills alongside like-minded learners. After joining our team it is common for new starters to comment on how much they’re learning and how much they enjoy the fact they are surrounded by people they can learn from. This includes our most senior hires.
The biggest thing you’ll take away from our culture after spending the day with us would be that we practice continuous improvement at every level. Everyone has peer-based one-to-ones every 2 weeks, along with monthly one-to-ones with a director. Teams have fortnightly retrospectives. We also hold a company wide retrospective fortnightly. We discuss our problems out in the open, and rather than punish failure we band together and to find solutions.
Other notable things:
- Every Friday afternoon is dedicated to learning new skills
- Everyone is encouraged to write blog posts regularly
- Our handbook is open sourced
- We are vegan and non-drinker friendly as well as meat-eater and drinker friendly
- Retreats and trips every year
This role has a salary of £50-85k depending on experience.
We do our best to treat our team well. Here are a few of the perks you can expect at Made Tech:
- Annual Performance Bonus
- We offer an annual bonus based on a combination of the performance of the business and your personal performance across the year.
- Company Credit Card
- We don't believe in filing expense claims in triplicate. We provide you a company credit card to buy things you need for work, from books to computer equipment.
- Remote Working
- We have a great office in Central London where a lot of the team choose to spend their time; but we want you to work wherever you’re most productive. Be it the kitchen table or the beach.
- Travel loan and cycle to work
- We make your commute as affordable as possible by offering a travel loan for your season ticket or by helping you buy a bike.
- Untracked Holiday
- We encourage you to take off as much time as you need during the year so you’re always fresh and focused on doing great work.
- Team Lunches
- We get together every Friday and have a team lunch somewhere around the office in Bankside.
- Brand new Macbook Pro
- We will provide you a new laptop ready for your new start.
- Employee assistance programme
- Free finance and legal advice, along with over-the-phone counselling.
Get in touch
If you’re interested in chatting more about this position, please send either a CV or your LinkedIn profile and ideally a link to your public GitHub repositories to Yasemin.
Recruiters: we always hire directly. Please do not get in touch.