Lead Product Manager
£ 59,500 - £ 89,000
Bristol, Remote & Client site as required
If you need this job description in another format, or other support in applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mission is simple! We believe we can use tech to make public services better. We also believe this can happen best when our own team represents the society that actually uses the services we work on. We’re collectively continuing to grow a culture that is happy, healthy, safe and inspiring for people of all backgrounds and experiences, so we encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply for roles with us.
When you apply, we’ll put you in touch with a Talent Partner who can help with any needs or adjustments we may need to make to help with your application. This includes alternative formats for documents, the time allotted for interviews and any other needs. We also welcome any feedback on how we can improve the experience for future candidates.
Made Tech are experiencing a period of rapid growth and are scaling quickly to keep pace with demand. We help public sector leaders to modernise legacy applications and working practices, accelerate digital service delivery, drive smarter decisions with data and enable improved technology skills within teams. We are working with an increasing number of projects and stakeholders, resulting in the expansion of the current product management function.
Our Lead Product Managers are accountable for the quality of complex, high-risk products and services in the public sector and work with stakeholders and teams to set visions and priorities. They will work closely with the Head of Product to provide leadership and direction to all products in a programme or a local product community. They are experts in their field, and will be involved in line management and hiring of Product Managers. They champion the user and work with the team to ensure what we build achieves the outcomes we desire.They have strong communication skills and are comfortable engaging with senior stakeholders from a consultancy perspective.Your role at Made Tech
This role will be to represent Product within the leadership ‘quad’ (Product, Delivery, UCD & Tech), providing product vision, management and leadership as we start to grow our product business to serve the Local Government market. As well as this, the person filling this role will be expected, at least initially, to act as a hands-on product manager for a single work-stream.
Responsibilities while in this position include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Head of R&D and Exec to define the Product vision and strategy for product(s) developed in this space. Subsequently owning the evolution and implementation of this vision.
- Ensuring the existence and maintenance of functional roadmaps for all products in this space.
- Accountable for the existence and maintenance of prioritised backlogs for all products in active development.
- Coaching and mentoring as necessary for all product capability staff within this space.
- Ensuring that all relevant learnings are captured and made available in suitable forms to benefit the rest of the business.
In the application process the following skills will be assessed but if you don’t have everything on this list, please still apply
Requirements for this position:
- Experience with green field product development, ideally at scale.
- Experience developing SaaS offerings.
- Experience of applying Lean Product Development methodologies.
- As much interest in managing people as managing products
- Working directly with clients, ideally in a Consultancy with multiple services
- In-depth knowledge and experience of Lean and Agile processes
- Articulate a problem and help others to do it. You know how to build problem-solving capabilities in others
- Able to lead a team, overcoming constraints to become high performing
- Designing, facilitating and leading workshops to shape vision and set direction
- Working within multidisciplinary teams with product, design, and technology working within the same cycles
- Agile and lean practices such as Lean UX, Scrum, XP, and/or Kanban
- Showcasing and presentation skills
- Evidence of self-development – we value keen learners
- Drive to deliver outcomes for users
- Desire to mentor others
- Empathy and people skills
- Assist sales and marketing team with product knowledge
Communication will be key to your success, so you should feel comfortable presenting to senior stakeholders in a professional manner, so that the needs of everyone involved in a project are kept in balance, whilst mediating disputes when required.
We want our teams and individuals to grow. If you don’t already have the following skills, you will have access to a learning budget, experienced team members and a wider learning and mentoring culture that can help you develop the following:
Don’t forget to mention any of the experiences listed below. While it’s optional, it’s all highly desired!
- Experienced working with Government Digital Service
- Provide direction on tools and methods to use
- Acting as an escalation point for operational issues
- Writing blog posts and giving talks
- User research planning and execution
- User testing planning and execution
- Agile estimation/Sprint planning & story definition
- Service design
- UI/UX Interaction design
- User Centred Design (UCD)
Finally, as we continue to grow rapidly there are a wealth of directions that a driven individual can progress to within the company, depending on their personal interests. The role could develop in a delivery focused direction, or transition towards agile coaching (either internally or externally), or evolve into a more senior position – we're happy to support you to take charge of your future and follow your passions!
Balancing life and work:
- ✈️ Flexible Holiday – We trust you to take as much holiday as you need
- 🕰️ Flexible Working Hours – We are flexible with what hours you work
- 🗓️ Flexible Working Days – We are flexible to the amount of days you work in a week
- 👶 Flexible Parental Leave – We provide flexible parental leave options
- 👩💻 Remote Working – We offer part-time remote working for all our staff
- 🤗 Paid counselling – We offer paid counselling as well as financial and legal advice
- 🏖️ Paid anniversary break – We celebrate your 3 and 5 year anniversary with us by buying your family a holiday
Making work as fabulous as possible:
- 💻 Work Ready – We'll buy you a Macbook, ergonomic equipment, books, conferences, training, and more
- 💡 Learn Tech – We spend every Friday afternoon learning rather than working
- 🍽️ Friday Lunches – We randomly match up 8 colleagues every Friday and pay for lunch
- 🍻 Friday Drinks – We pay for social drinks on a Friday
Compensating you fairly:
- 💷 Transparent Salary Bands – We publish salary bands so you know you're being fairly compensated
- 👌 Annual Salary Reviews – We review your salary on an annual basis
- ⛷️ Pension Scheme – We provide a pension scheme so you can save for your future and we'll contribute to it
- 🚄 Season Ticket Loan – We provide loans to help you pay for your travel
- 🚲 Cycle To Work Scheme – We offer the cycle to work scheme to help pay for your bicycle
- 🚕 Expenses Paid – Taxi to a meeting? Want to take a customer to lunch? Expenses are no hassle!