Salary: £59,500 - £70,000 with a London-weighting of £62,475 - £70,000
- Location: Bristol, London, Manchester or Swansea with hybrid-working policy
- SFIA: Level 5
About Made Tech
Our aim at Made Tech is to use human-centred technology to improve our society. We believe putting people at the heart of designing, building and delivering public services leads to better outcomes for everyone.
We have a growing user-centred practice (content designers, interaction and service designers, user researchers, product managers and business analysts) committed to working with the public sector to deliver excellent services.
Made Tech has grown quickly, and has bold ambitions for the future. We know that growth and change can be unsettling (as well as exciting), so we are looking for people who enjoy this challenge, and want to help others thrive too.
Content design is a new specialism at Made Tech, and now is the time to help us shape it. We work with a large and varied array of local and central government clients, including the Government Digital Service, the Met Office, the Ministry of Justice, Hackney Council and City of Lincoln Council. We help them build services that are simple, clear and fast for their users to get what they need. One recent example is our work with the Met Office on accessibility.
About the role
We’re looking for our first Lead Content Designer - an expert practitioner who is a brilliant mentor and knows how to persuade other people of the value of our user-centred approach. They will work as the single content design expert on a multi-disciplinary team, and will sometimes work across more than one team or client. They know the secret to successful content design is people: the people they design for and the people they work with. Using empathy and curiosity to build a strong understanding of both is a big part of the job.
The job is a varied one. Your week might include a sprint planning session, a tricky conversation about the value of content design with a senior stakeholder and a coaching conversation with someone you manage. You might run a content crit, draft some content for a service, host a show and tell or work on a content strategy for a client. You might interview someone who wants to join Made Tech and write a blog. All these things (and more) are what make this role a really interesting challenge.
We are particularly interested in hearing from you if you have experience or a keen interest in:
- search engine optimisation (SEO)
- artificial intelligence like ChatGPT
- voice user interfaces
- content operations
- content strategy
- content metrics
- UK government service standard assessments
- technical writing (eg API documents)
As a Lead Content Designer, you would:
- advocate for content design with colleagues and clients, showing them the value of this approach
- be responsible for the quality of content delivery within your team and more widely
- advise clients on content strategy
- turn complex ideas and language into something that users understand easily
- use your experience to create content informed by a variety of evidence and research, test it with users, and iterate it based on their feedback
- ensure teams define the problem they’re trying to solve
- share what you’re learning in a way that feels right for you (that might be blogging, doing show and tells, speaking at events or another way), and encourage others to do the same
- support our sales team to win new work, for example by contributing to bids
- manage and support other content designers
- help the content design team grow by leading some recruitment and onboarding
- be a leader in Made Tech’s content design and wider user-centred community
- report to, and sometimes deputise for, the Discipline Head for Content Design
Our Application Process
- Screening Call - This will be with one of our Talent Team. It usually takes 25-30 minutes via Google Meet. It is the first chance for us to find out more about your experience, relevant skills and for you to ask us more about the role.
- 1st stage interview (45 minutes) - This will be with one of our Content Design team. The focus will predominantly be on meeting the core requirements of the role.
- Final stage interview (1 hour 15 minutes) - This will be with two members of our team, including our Discipline Head for Content Design.
Life at Made Tech
We’re committed to building a happy, inclusive and diverse workforce. You can get a sense of what it’s like working here from [our blog, where we talk about mental health, communities of practice and neurodiversity] (https://www.madetech.com/blog/category/life-at-made-tech/) (as well as our client work and best practice).
Like many organisations, we use Slack to chat to each other. The Slack groups that have formed give an idea of the diversity within Made Tech. If you’d like to speak to someone from one of these groups about their experience as an employee, let your recruitment agent or Made Tech Talent Partner know.
The groups are:
We are always listening to our growing teams and evolving the benefits available to our people. As we scale, as do our benefits and we are scaling quickly. We've recently introduced a flexible benefit platform which includes a Smart Tech scheme, Cycle to work scheme, and an individual benefits allowance which you can invest in a Health care cash plan or Pension plan. We’re also big on connection and have an optional social and wellbeing calendar of events for all employees to join should they choose to.
Here are some of our most popular benefits listed below:
✈️ 30 days Holiday - we offer 30 days of paid annual leave
🕰️ Flexible Working Hours - we are flexible with what hours you work
👶 Flexible Parental Leave - we offer flexible parental leave options
👩💻 Remote Working - we offer part time remote working for all our staff
🤗 Paid counselling - we offer paid counselling as well as financial and legal advice